President Goodluck Jonathan has completely cancelled out possibilities of freeing Boko Haram members held prisoner by the country, in exchange for the abducted school girls.
Some of the abducted schoolgirls
This was made known to newsmen on Wednesday by British minister Mark Simmonds, who is currently in Nigeria for ongoing talks about international rescue missions that will be carried out in Nigeria.
Simmonds while speaking on the matter said he had asked President Jonathan about the issue of exchanging Boko Haram prisoners for the girls, and the President completely ruled it out.
“I did discuss this with the president and he made it very clear that there will be no negotiation with Boko Haram that involves a swap of abducted schoolgirls for prisoners,” he said.
It has been over 3 weeks now since members of terrorist group, Boko Haram, attacked Government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state and abducted over 200 female students.
The leader of the terrorist group, Abubakar Shekau, released two videos since the kidnapping, one showing some of the abducted girls while he talked about his plans for them, and another one in which he called for negotiations and the release of Boko Haram members held prisoners in exchange for the abducted girls.
Several parents have since then claimed to recognize their missing daughters from the released video, while some others went ahead to react to the forceful conversion of some of the girls to Islam.
Although various plans are being put in place by the Federal Government to guarantee the safe release of the girls, their whereabouts have not been confirmed since the day of the kidnap.